PLACES STILL AVAILABLE AT SALTERS' FESTIVALS OF CHEMISTRY 2016
Although the closing date has passed, places may still be available at the Festival of your choice! Enter now!
49 Salters’ Festivals of Chemistry are planned at Universities and Colleges throughout the UK and Ireland between March and June. A school may enter one team of four students from:
• Year 7 and/or 8 in England and Wales
• Year P7 and/or S1 in Scotland
• Year 8 and/or 9 in Northern Ireland
• Primary 6 and/or Secondary Year 1 in the Republic of Ireland
Students will experience…
• Exciting hands-on practical Chemistry challenges in University/College labs
• Carrying out investigations “like a real Chemist”
• Team working and independent problem solving
• Amazing chemical demonstrations
• Prizegiving ceremony with prizes for winning schools
• Fun prizes and certificates for all participants
Calling all Chemistry Teachers…
• Hear what the Salters’ Institute is doing
• Come and meet your local RSC Education Co-ordinator
• A chance to network with like-minded colleagues
• Participate in CPD opportunities
Only £25 (€30) per school (non-refundable) plus travel expenses.
Don't miss out on participating in one of these fantastic events!
INSTITUTE AWARDS CEREMONY 2015
This prestigious annual event celebrates high levels of excellence within the science education sector. This year the Ceremony took place at Fishmongers’ Hall on Tuesday 15 December 2015. Over 170 guests attended the Prizegiving Ceremony and lunch reception.
Professor Sir John Holman, Chairman of The Salters’ Institute delivered a keynote address and presented the Awards at the Ceremony.
Awards were presented for the Salters’ Graduate Prizes, SALTERS-CLEAPSS National Awards for Science Technicians, Salters-Nuffield Advanced Biology (SNAB) Prizes, Salters Advanced Chemistry (SAC) Prizes, Salters Horners Advanced Physics (SHAP) Prizes and Salters’ City and Guilds Prizes.
SALTERS' CHEMISTRY CAMPS COME TO A CLOSE AFTER A FANTASTIC 18 YEARS!
The Salters’ Chemistry Camps have been running for 18 years with a total of 185 Camps taking place, hosted by 15 different Universities across all parts of the UK and 9,500 students have had the opportunity to participate. This has been a very successful project, but in order that the Institute can develop new projects in the run up to the Institute’s Centenary in 2018, as well as planning to expand the Festivals programme, it has been decided to end the Camps programme with immediate effect.
We would like to thank everyone who has been involved with making the Salters’ Chemistry Camps so successful over such a long period, which includes University staff, Teacher Mentors and not least the thousands of students who participated.
We now look to the future and in addition to the new and exciting Institute projects now in the pipeline, the Chemistry Camps continue in India where we held the first two pilot Camps in Bangalore and Kuppam in June/July last year. Two more Camps followed in Vellore and Pune in December and many more are planned over the next few years as part of the “Inspirational Chemistry Programme” sponsored by Dr Yusuf Hamied and in collaboration with the Royal Society of Chemistry.